Q: What Questions Should I Ask an Agent Interested in Selling My Home?
Q: What Questions Should I Ask an
Agent Interested in Selling My Home?
A: Interview at least three local agents who sell homes in your community.
Grill them about the following:
- The worth of your home. The agents should inspect the
home and prepare a written comparative market analysis.
- Marketing plans. These are a must. Make sure they
include regular newspaper ads, the local Multiple Listing Service (MLS) –
which gives your home maximum exposure to all local agents – and Internet
marketing through the agent’s Web site.
- Length of the listing agreement. A 90-day listing is
reasonable for marketing your home. Experts advise against signing a
listing for more than 90 days unless it contains an unconditional
cancellation clause. If you like, you can always extend the contract
- Number of listings. Find out how many listings the
agent now has and how many she normally sells. Too many listings – more
than a dozen – with a low sales rate, may not be a good sign.
- Get references. Ask for the names and phone numbers of
recent home sellers. Call them and ask if they were satisfied with the
level of service delivered by the agent.