Tips to Overcome Winter Gloom and
If your home will be for sale this winter, it is important to master certain
seasonal issues that are less significant or even non-existent at other times
of the year. Here are a few tips to aid in the successful sale of your home:
• Brighten it up: Counter the cloudy days of winter by making your home stand
out. Keep the lights on in the front of the house even if no showings are
scheduled. You never know who will be driving by to take a peek.
• Don't overlook a place for shoes: Prospective buyers and guests will likely
be schlepping through your home with muddy shoes and boots. Make sure you have
a designated spot for wet footwear, like a festive rug or area in the
breezeway. You want to ensure that your home stays just as clean for whoever
will be touring the home next.
• Keep it fresh: Homes, especially ones not currently being lived in, have a
tendency to get stuffy in the winter time. Air out the home on warmer days or
have a nice room fragrance available, like a candle or spray. As always, keep
pets hidden or away from the main quarters to make sure no additional smells
enter the home.
• Keep a steady temperature: Don't cook your prospective buyers. Keep the home
at a steady 65 degrees during showings. Those touring will likely not be taking
off their jackets, so there's no reason to make them sweat.
• Don't ignore the exterior: Just because it's winter doesn't mean you should
neglect the yard. Be sure to keep walkways clear of ice and debris to ensure
everyone's safety. Always shovel the driveway and walks promptly after a
snowfall or ice storm.
With these tips and a little bit of thought, adjusting your selling methods to
suit the season can only help in the long run.